At the EUROBIKE 2010 wheel which next week will begin in Friedrichshafen, reveals Garmin a world novelty: the edge 800 is the first “pure-bred” GPS-bike computer with touch screen. In addition to the sporty luxurious carbon design convinces the new top model for cyclists, especially with its new, intuitive and clearly arranged menu navigation as well as a colour touchscreen display, which is perfectly readable in all lighting conditions.
The latest GPS device from the home Garmin weighs just 95 grams, according to cheeroutdoor. The edge 800 offers much more than the standard bike computer functions without external sensors or other cables. Because in addition to any data obtained through GPS, like distance and speed values an integrated barometric altimeter allows the determination of precise elevation data – and thus creating an accurate profile of height.
The new display of the GPS cycling computer boasts an excellent readability even under difficult lighting conditions. In addition to the display of all performance data on freely configurable data fields the edge 800 dominated the map display (both vector and raster maps and custom maps), as well as the routing to appropriate maps. The edge 800 is also operated via the brilliant touch screen display. Only three meaningful direct access keys (“Start/Stop”, “lap/reset” and “On/Off”) complement the new and remarkably simple operating concept.
- Supports both vector and raster maps (including custom maps)
- PC connection via high-speed USB connection
- Evaluation with Garmin Training Center (offline), Basecamp (offline), http://connect.garmin.com (online), as well as more online training portals
- Barometric altimeter and electronic compass
- Memory for up to 2,000 rounds
- Memory expandable with microSD memory cards (up to 8 GB)
- ANT + compatible (high noise immunity and low energy consumption)
-wireless data transfer from device to device
-Wireless expandable with Leistungsmesssystemen (E.g. by Quarq, SRM, CycleOps)
- FirstBeatTM technology: Accurate calorie calculation taking into account the variability of heart rate
- HotfixTM technology: very fast location tracking
- Battery life (set installed): depending on the use of up to 15 hours
- Weight: 95 grams
- Device dimensions: 5.1 x 10.9 x 2.5 cm
- (2.6-inch) display resolution: 176 x 220 pixels
In Germany the new edge 800 is expected to be available from mid-October in three different versions:
- Black and white + 2 handlebar brackets (399 Euro)
- Black-Blue + 2 handlebar mounts + textile heart rate belt + speed / Cadence sensor (479 Euro)
- Black-Blue + 2 handlebar mounts + textile heart rate belt + speed / Cadence sensor + map “City Navigator Europe” on SD card (529 euros)